Monday, June 20, 2011

I got a pickle ya ya ya ya...

Dill, an herb that I have never really used a whole lot of; I guess when I think of dill I think of salmon, which is one food that I dislike and therefore don’t cook. This week when dill was included in the Farm Share I was sort of puzzled on what I could do with it….

I thought about making pickles but the idea of going out, getting the special jars, waiting a week for them to be “pickled” just wasn’t on my agenda. I then thought about the pickles that they used to serve at Joe’s American Bar and Grill, did anyone ever have one of those?? The best pickles ever. Anyways they were really crunchy and salty, a tiny bit sour but still had a very cucumber-y and fresh taste. So…here is my rendition, still might need a few tweeks to be the same as “Joe’s Pickles” but my pickles were pretty darn good.

Homemade Pickles

4 cucumbers, sliced thin
½ cup white vinegar
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ cup fresh dill

In a large bowl or plastic bag add cucumbers, vinegar, salt and garlic powder. Chop dill and add to cucumbers, stir and refrigerate for one hour. *the longer it sits the more “pickled” they become, they get softer and take on more flavor. Cant stay in this container for 2-3 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment