Thursday, August 11, 2011

This weeks featured CSA farm share

This weeks CSA farm share was pretty good, I have to say as much as I love beets and summer squash I am getting a little bit sick of them. My signature dish of the summer I would have to say is grilled zucchini and summer squash, every family member of mine who has been invited for dinner knows that it is always part of the spread...this week I refuse to grill it, I will find another way to cook the summer squash babies I received today in my share!

I was more than excited when I saw the bucket of okra at my pick up. To my surprise a lot of people were asking questions about this yummy pod; "How do I cook this?, Do I peel it?, What does it taste like?". Okra is really yummy in my opinion, we grew up eating okra in sauces and stews and sauteed. I guess for someone who is eating okra for the first time would have to acquired a taste for it. When cooked, okra gives off a "goo" or "slime" for lack of a better way to explain it. No, it doesn't sound too appetizing but it actually comes in very handy in certain dishes, especially because the "goo" acts as a thickening agent for soups and stews.  The okra today at the pick up came in all sizes, really tiny ones and really big ones, I would assume the bigger they were the more tough the pod would be on the outside..I decided to take some medium sized pods. The first thing I thought of when I saw them was pickles! Pickled Okra...to die for.

Okra
Pickled Okra (with garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes)
Little Cukes
Carnival Peppers and Heirloom Tomatoes
 Summer Squash and Chives
Beets
 Melon and Blueberries
 Pretty Melon



1 comment: