Thursday, June 27, 2013

Brown Rice Risotto Fake out...

As we discussed last post, I am on a detox, aka restricted intake/fine, diet. I don’t like to call it a diet because I don’t feel like I am making to many changes to the food I am eating except for being strict about eliminating dairy products and gluten (bread, pasta, crackers, etc) and making sure my meals are balance with whole grains, veggies, etc, which I kind of always do anyways.

Last night I made a typical dinner for Hubby and I and made a few small, and healthy changes. I surprised myself by making a brown rice dish that tasted just like a yummy, creamy, cheesy risotto, but guess what, it was completely dairy free. The secret ingredient is…white bean puree. It adds a really creamy, almost cheesy like texture to the brown rice, mixed with all the other yummy add ins, delicious!

Creamy Brown Rice Risotto

1-cup short grain brown rice
2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1/2-cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2-cup artichoke hearts, chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup **prepared white bean puree (see recipe below)
Fresh herbs to garnish (I used oregano and thyme)

Put brown rice, water and salt in a saucepan, bring to a boil and then put on low. Simmer for 45 minutes. Take off heat and fluff rice with a fork. In a small frying pan, heat oil on medium heat and add onions and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until onions start to brown, add mushroom and artichokes and sauté another 5 minutes. Add white wine and simmer for about 5 minutes, until reduced. Pout brown rice into a large serving bowl; add white bean puree and stir. Add onion mixture and stir until well combine. Serve hot topped with fresh herbs.

**White bean puree:
1 can of canalinni beans, drained and rinsed
1/2-cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a blender or food processor add all ingredients and puree until smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment