Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Chicken, Broccoli, and Homemade Orecchiette

A few year back Phil, I think for Christmas, bought me a Kitchen Aid Electric Mixer. Along with that I treated myself to some attachments for the mixer (these things are amazing!) I bought the sausage maker, pasta machine, and an ice cream machine. Over the years I have made ice cream probably only 2 times, successfully made many Italian Sausages, and have actually not attempted to make my own pasta. I’m not really sure what was holding me back, maybe the fact that pasta is so inexpensive and convenient to purchase or the fact that I hate cleaning up after myself and pasta is a kinda messy job…

Well today in my travels, I came across Semolina Flour at a random store (Ocean State Job Lot). I though hmm, how hard could it be, lets give pasta a try once and for all. I did not use the actual pasta machine (is it so graciously living at my parents house with loooottttsss of other kitchen stuff we have yet to move to our tiny fort) but after recently seeing a dish on a friend’s blog using homemade orecchiette I decided that’s what I would use. Orecchiette, translated from Italian meaning tiny ears, are small oval shaped pastas that are so delicious.
  


Homemade Pasta Dough Recipe (serving 2)

¾ cup semolina flour
¼ tsp salt
1 egg
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp olive oil

In a large bowl mix semolina and salt. In a small bowl beat egg, water and oil and add to semolina flour mixture. Mix with fork until well combine.  On a floured surface knead dough for about 5 minutes or until dough is very smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp towel to keep from drying out.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Mel....I love the "tiny ears" and the tiny Italian lesson. Orecchiette....such a musical word!!
    Next thing you will be doing is opening a homemade pasta shop! Why not!!

    ReplyDelete