Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fresh is the best...

Cucumbers, fresh mint, cilantro, cabbage, strawberries, lemons and limes, asparagus, potatoes, onions, mangos, just to name a few...This is just a short list of things that they had at the Haymarket yesterday. For about 15 bucks I came home with a fortune of fresh produce. As you can imagine I was more than excited to start creating with everything that I had purchased.

Last night, before heading out for dinner, a few friends came over for drinks. As usual, I tried out a new recipe on Megan...poor thing. This one turned out great; it was my "Mojito Flakita" (skinny in Spanish in case you didn’t get it). I simply squeezed a whole bunch of limes (maybe 4 or 5) in my Magic Bullet with a handful of fresh mint (stems and all) and about 1/8 cup sugar. I then pureed it all together with the end result being a mint-y, lime-y puree. We then simply mixed a shot of rum, a shot of the mint puree and topped the rest of the glass off with unflavored seltzer. Yummm!


Tonight’s dinner featured a Grilled Flank Steak and a Mediterranean Rice Salad. I am so happy that it is getting warmer outside and we can start grilling because nothing is better than that charred flavor of the grill.

Mediterranean Rice Salad 
1 cup rice
2 ½  cups water
½ cup cucumber, diced
1 scallion, diced
1/2 of feta cheese crumbled or cubed
¼ cup Kalamata olive, diced
¼ cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped

In a saucepan, add rice and water and simmer until fully cooked. Let rice cool and add all the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and serve cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment